Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Work Widow

I am a work widow.  I'm not sure where the name came from, and I am by no means comparing my life to that of an actual widow, which would be terrible.  The term refers to those of us whose husbands work insane hours, far away, out of state, etc.  I'm not talking 40 hours a week with weekends off (I have no idea what that would be like), I'm talking about a group of wives and moms who are basically on their own most of the time.  In my situation, my husband works in Texas.  I live in Las Vegas.  We see him a few times a year.  It works for us for now, but I can't wait for it to be over when I move back to Texas in July.  There is no substitute for not having daddy around. 

I am blessed in the fact that I have family around.  Before I came back to Las Vegas I was a work widow with no family nearby, no friends, in a dump town with nothing to do but go stir crazy with a toddler.  My husband would go to work before dawn and come home long after our son had gone to bed.  Basically, even when we lived in the same house  I never saw him. 

I have quite a few friends who are work widows as well, and we share the same concerns, such as the re-entry process when our husbands come home, finding time to yourself, and trying not to lose it when your husband does come home and thinks he can take over when you are used to doing it all yourself.  I guess that is kind of why I am writing this post, and, if anyone actually ever reads my posts, let me know if you are a work widow and what works for you and what doesn't.

On a side note, I am so glad that I started the 40 day self makeover thing last week, since I just found out that I get to see my husband in three weeks!  The upside to being apart is that I can surprise him by looking better than I did a few months ago, and that is great motivation.  Trust me, when you take the time to take care of yourself, your husband will notice.  Remember when you started dating your husband?  If you were like me or pretty much any other girl out there, you tried to look cute and impress him.  Why stop after you get married?  I know that when I see him, I want him to be impressed, so I am going to kick this 40 day project into high gear.  More on that later, thanks for reading!

1 comment: