Sunday, March 3, 2013

Dr. Oz 3 Day Detox Cleanse FAIL




A couple of weeks ago I got a wild hair and started looking up cleanses.  I am not a "cleanse" fan.  There is no way I am going to live on lemon water with cayenne pepper for two weeks.  I just don't think it is healthy to do that to your body.  If you eat clean, and take care of yourself, there is really no need to do crazy stuff like that.  That being said, the Dr. Oz 3 day detox caught my eye.  After all, this is Dr. Oz!  He can't be wrong, and it is only for 3 days.  I wasn't doing it to lose weight, I just wanted a fresh start, something to boost my energy and refresh my system.

First, I took my happy, detoxing to be healthy self to Whole Foods to stock up on the neccessary supplies.  The website provides this handy shopping list for those who want to try the cleanse.
Dr. Oz's 3-Day Detox Cleanse One-Sheet

For the almond butter, which was about $16.00 a jar at Whole paycheck Foods, I instead bought a little sample pack of it for about $2.00.  After all, I only needed 3 tablespoons of it.


The next day, I washed and prepped all of the fruits and veggies.   This was, by far, the most time consuming part, but it made things so much easier the next day.
 
Note: I do not normally buy organic bananas since it is pointless, but I didn't want to make another stop at a different store

I bought all organic produce since I was doing a cleanse and wanted to put the best products in my smoothies; however, I do want to take a moment to point out that organic does not mean pesticide free. Allow me to step onto my soapbox for a moment: ORGANIC VEGETABLES DO HAVE PESTICIDES ON THEM.  And some of them are dangerous.  People think that organic fruits and veggies are pesticide free, and that is just not true.  While they are organic pesticides, they are still pesticides.
Thank you, stepping off of my soapbox now.
Some of my ingredients, washed and ready to go

So back to the cleanse.  You begin your morning with a cup of green tea with lemon, which is yummy. 
After that, you make a breakfast smoothie that is delicious.  Seriously, I could drink it every day and be happy.  I have diverticulosis, so I can't have seeds, so I strained the raspberry seeds out and took a flax pill instead of using flaxseed.  The only problem I had is that the smoothies are huge.  I was so full I thought I would burst.  The best thing about this cleanse is that you will never feel hungry.

On to the lunch smoothie, which is celery and cucumber based.  And gross.  I don't like cucumbers, and this shake was not flavorful at all.  I was feeling so great after the breakfast one, sailing through my day, I had energy and wanted to yell out "Look at me!  I'm cleansed!!"  No.  I am not cleansed, now I have to suck down 2 cups of cucumber and try not to vomit.

Either way, I got it down and felt great.  I was full, so I skipped the snack drink.  Everything was sailing right along.  "I can do this" I thought.  That is until I went for a golf lesson and it all went to hell in a handbasket.  It was cold at golf, and the last thing you want after spending time outside in the cold is a smoothie for dinner.  I wanted Chicken! And Gravy! And Biscuits!
So that is where the cleanse ended.  I went home and made an actual dinner.

I will tell you this, the cleanse is a great idea.  It is just better suited to summer time, when one might actually look forward to a refreshing smoothie at dinner.  I felt great for the 5 hours I did it, so I think I will indeed give this another shot during the warmer months.  It is worth a try.

18 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Very effectively written information. It will be worthwhile to anyone who uses it, including myself. Detox 7 Cleanse is gentle whole body cleansing program designed to noticeably enhance your wellness through detoxification, natural herbs/supplements, appropriate nutrition and moderate exercise.
    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if you have any questions about the ingredients, how to prepare, or the cost, feel free to leave a comment and I will try to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Meredith- I appreciate your input - start ing this Saturday!

    Cheers!!!!

    CieCie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! Prep all of the ingredients today, if you can. It will be great!

      Delete
  4. Hi Meredith,
    Thanks for the info on this cleanse! I've been looking into if for awhile and your article convinced me to follow through :) I want to shop at whole foods and buy organic ingredients as well. Would you mind sharing the total cost?

    Thanks,
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my reply in the wrong spot! Sorry, see below.

      Delete
  5. I spent around $90.00, but I already had the vitamins. The vitamins are pretty pricey, so I would plan on adding another 40-50 dollars on top of that. I did cheat and buy frozen mangoes and berries, so that helped with the cost, just make sure that the frozen ones have no sugar added. Buy the Epsom salt at CVS or Walgreens (or even the grocery store). They sell a big bag that is a better deal. When I try this again, I am going to get the lemons, limes, and bananas at Costco or the grocery store, and I will probably hit up Trader Joe's for some of the other items before heading to Whole Foods. Costco also sells a big tub of coconut oil, which would help. Hope that helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have any success with the detox? What kind of improvements did you see?

      Delete
    2. I saw a huge increase in my energy level, and overall I just felt better. Less lethargic, and oddly enough, I wasn't as cranky as I usually am.

      Delete
  6. I just started this 3 day cleanse this morning and happened upon your blog post. I am determined to get through all three days, if nothing else to completely destroy it over the weekend! But seriously, I spent over $100 on all these fruits and veggies and have to use them up somehow so I'll have to finish. But talk to me 48 hours from now and we'll see what tune I'm singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! How did it go? I might try it again this week.

      Delete
  7. On day three of the Oz cleanse. Totally doable but you have to add three times as much citrus to the lunch shake and blend it within an inch of its life in order to not want to gag about 17 times. I finally perfected it on day three--waking up feeling refreshed and definitely a great lesson in self-control. I only cheated with coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea with the citrus. I cheated with coffee too, since my doctor told me that it probably wouldn't be wise to stop cold turkey.

      Delete
  8. I'm on day two of the cleanse and all I want is comfort food to the max. I'm currently attempting to drink the lunch drink without gagging. Five minutes ago I reached in my fridge for some food but turned around because I figured after $80 spent on veggies, I should just pull through without a cheat. Your comment on the lunch smoothie was funny and made me feel better that I'm not the only one out there that thinks this is simply disgusting. Overall, this cleanse is manageable, and it has definitely made me a little more energized. However, I cannot wait to get a nice warm meal in my stomach and the warmth of something is going to be downfall if I don't end up making it through the next day in a half!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warm food withdrawal is the hardest part. Keep it up, you are doing great!

      Delete
  9. I did the cleanse in the beginning of this month. Lunch was by far the hardest meal to swallow...literally!!! It took about an hour and a half each day to chug it down. It was like green sludge. I didn't cheat at all b/c I wanted to have the full cleanse effects on my body. I did it for stomach issues and it was so worth it to me. I did miss warm food for sure!!! Summer is a better season to do it in.

    I was in the middle of some hard training for a race and the timing was off. Your body is working hard at cleansing & the strength needed to work out hard is not there at all. In my humble opinion you have to be more mentally prepared to do it than anything. Having a support system helps tremendously b/c come lunch time you are ready to quit! Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. Full Report

    ReplyDelete