Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Competitive Child Rearing as a Sport - How to keep it a Spectator Sport.

It starts when you find out you are having a baby - at least for many first time moms, there is so much information available at the tips of your fingers, what stroller to buy, whether or not to co-sleep, homebirths, vaccinations, the perfect Pottery Barn crib and bedding.
There are also opinions. On one hand, having so much information is a huge benefit, and it certainly seems that today's parents are more well informed than ever before. The difference today is that everywhere you go, parenting seems to have become a sport, a barrage of "little Johnny is speaking 7 languages and he is only 2", or "my nursery cost us 20,000 and we brought in a designer from Italy". It is all too easy to get sucked into this world or at least the idea of it, since as parents we all want the best for our kids.
When I was pregnant, I bought into some of this, thankfully not all of it. Nevertheless, when my son was born, he and I lined up, with him strapped into his Maclaren stroller, ready at the starting line to engage our competitors. And you know what? It never happened.
You see, competitive child rearing is only a sport if you choose to play and if you surround yourself with others already in the competition. You have to engage it, you have to choose to participate. I chose not to, which is not to say that I don't observe other parents or children who are similar in age, or wonder if my son is as socially adept as others, etc. What I am saying is that one day, if the neighbor throws one of those seemingly ever popular birthday parties for a one year old with 20 live giraffes and a 3,000 square foot bouncy house, I'm not going to try to match it. I don't care. Nor will I worry that I am scarring my child for life by not providing the same fanfare. Treat those parties like a trip to the zoo or a carnival. Your child wouldn't expect to bring the zoo or carnival home, so use that as reasoning why he or she isn't going to have the performers from Cirque du Soleil give a private performance at his or her party.
If you are engaged in such a battle with other competitive parents, try not to complain or feel inadequate, just change your mindset to enjoying the sport from the bleachers. If we engage such behavior, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mer! - I saw the link in your siggy and just had to look into your blog :D

    I love this blog post, because this is so true.

    I got lost in the competition with another family when Ragnar was born. The other couple had their daughter nine days after Ragnar was born, and since the guys were inseperable me and her started to hang out a lot, we really would get competetive, ofcourse in a much different scale then you described, we did not have the option for a nursery, in the one bedroom apartment we moved into five days before I gave birth (12 days past my due day might I add LOL) and the crib was definetly not from pottery barn, it as well as the stroller, the pram, the carseat (a very good acta graco seat mind you and not expired until a couple of years after we stopped using it) was hand me downs and bought second hand. But we competed, boy did we compete! when they split up we drifted appart, natures law, the guys were friends first... so that competition came to a halt - for a while, our children are now in the same preschool, not only the older two but also our younger children who were born within a month of each other, and unknowingly we yet get sucked into competetive chats about which child is doing better with speach, social behaviour etc. etc. but I try not to do it, I just get so easily sucked in with that woman LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It is so easy to get sucked into it, kind of like when one woman starts bashing her husband, others chime in like "I can top that - my husband...blah blah blah". It's a sick cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mer... Hope you don't mind that I found you... Love this posts its so true....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Amber! That is great, I love your blog, so I am glad you found it!

    ReplyDelete