Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Housedresses and Aprons

Where did they go? The easy answer is "If I'm not going anywhere, why would I bother to get dressed and look nice?" Before I had my son, I envisioned myself as a put together mom, wearing a pretty dress with a matching apron and daintily cleaning my house. A few weeks into being a mom, covered in spit-up having not showered in days, my fantasy changed to the brutal reality of being a new mom. Yet I never gave up the dream. Has it become a reality? No.
So what happened to dressing nicely while at home? So few mothers seem to take the time, including myself. When my husband and I were dating, I always made sure I looked my best for him. I no longer do that, and I have to wonder what changed. He still deserves to have a partner who cares enough about him to put on a nice outfit and some makeup. Yet I don't do it for him.
If our husbands drastically changed after we had kids, gaining weight, never dressing appropriately, etc., we would say something. Yet many of us do not put forth the effort to impress them.
"Impress your husband?" you ask? Yes. Impress them. If the first thought that pops into your mind while reading "impress your husband" is disdain and an idea that I have lost my mind, after all, wives are not jesters hired to prance around pleasing our mates, than perhaps you should re-think marriage.
Wouldn't any wife be pleased if her husband tried to impress her? Should we not do the same for them? By all means, if you never want your husband to impress you, don't bother trying to impress him.
I do want my husband to impress me, perhaps it is time I put more effort into impressing him. If he was good enough for me to court and put on makeup for, do my hair, and put on a cute outfit while we were dating, why would that change now?
So I will begin trying tonight. Laziness is the only thing that has kept me from doing it before. I can make up excuses, but the truth is that I can shower before my son goes to bed, do my hair before he wakes up (he is a late sleeper), and throw on some makeup.
I can listen to flylady and lay out my clothes before bed. None of this will disrupt my day, I have just chosen not to do it, so that I can play martyr "I haven't bathed today - don't you feel sorry for me?" Chances are, my husband doesn't feel sorry for me, he wonders why I didn't just get up five minutes earlier to knock it out. Not that he would ever say that, and from now on, he won't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment