Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Thank you cards and Miss Manners

I should tell you that I love Miss Manners - LOVE her. For leisure, I snuggle in with my mother's old copy of her "Guide to Rearing Perfect Children". I am not kidding. Those who know me will find this surprising, since I seem to focus more attention on the art of being blunt than the art of proper manners. But I digress. I understand the point of thank you cards, and I wish more people did. I, for one, spend countless hours designing perfect thank you cards, carefully cutting out the tiniest details with my Cricut, using every scrapbook embellishment I have to make the most exceptional card one could ever receive. Which is nice, since they will never receive them. You see, I never actually send them out. I spend all year planning out the perfect Christmas thank you cards, imagining the glittering snowflake scenes and embossed gold lettering, always with the intention of sending them out promptly after the holidays. This has not happened once.
Sometimes, I wonder if sending thank-you's for Christmas is appropriate or neccesary. I have been informed by my family that indeed it is. I come from a long line of prompt thank you sender-outers, which further cements my place as the black sheep.
So this year it will happen. They may be generic, rather than hand pieced works of art, but they will be sent out. So what are we up to now? Bathing, putting on nice clothes, and sending out thank you's.
Well, it's a start. Although I should mention that it is the 16th of December and I have yet to begin on my Christmas cards, so chances are the Christmas cards and Thank- You's will go out in the same mailing.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I feel your pain with the Thank-Yous. They are hugely imortant. And I am always truly grateful. And, yet, they seem to be the bein of my existence - specially right now as I am still trying to finish my damn wedding thank yous! But I am really making an effort to be better at them. And I will continue to. Also, I believe that its never too late to send one... even if it has been a few months since the present was received. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it helps, I think the time limit on Wedding Thank-you's is a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just gave my last wedding thank you card out. A year and a half after the wedding. :-) Thankfully it went to my best friend, so she understood.

    ReplyDelete