Tuesday, August 13, 2013

We've Moved...to a house of horrors.



After several long years of living in a different state than my husband, we are reunited (and it feels so good) haha I just couldn't resist throwing that in there.  He had been working in Odessa, Tx, which, no offense to the good people of West Texas, is not a place that I found to be liveable.  Finally, he had the opportunity to transfer, and we settled on Corpus Christi.  I'm always happy when I am near a beach. 
We opted to rent, so that we have time to get to know the area and save (well, not really save since rent out here is WAY higher than a mortgage) but had to do it sight unseen.
Long story short, I found a great house in a perfect neighborhood and off we went on a three day drive cross country.  We had most of our stuff stored in a POD for the past 6 months, which was great because PODS moved it for us and it was waiting in the driveway when we got here. 
And the house was a mess.  A mess!  It had been cleaned, but not the way I would expect, and it was clear that whoever lived here before did not take care of it.  This was confirmed when I spoke to the neighbors.

I was going to list all of the things that were wrong, but I will spare you the details.  Let's just put it this way: it is a nice house but it needs a ton of love.  And work.  And money.  Lots of money.  The one blessing is that our leasing agent and the owner of the house have been amazing, I couldn't ask for more, and they are letting me make the call on what new faucets and fixtures I want.  Some of which I will pay for, some of which they will.  The house is filled with 90's builder standard brass and I hate that.  While it may seem like a waste to put money into a house I don't own, I am living here and I want it to be nice and pretty.
It also has a pretty great office with built in cabinets that will be my craft room. I can't wait to show you all of my feeble attempts at DIY projects for the house!

P.S.  Don't get me started on the carpet.
GROSS!


2 comments: