Friday, August 16, 2013

My First Pair Of Boots For The Garden


One of the things that I was really excited about when we moved was the fact that I had a lawn.  A lawn with real grass!  You see, where I come from yards generally involve rocks and desert landscaping.  I haven't had a real yard since I was a child.  When I told my son that there would be grass, his answer was "REAL grass?!"  Yes, son.  Real grass.
Of course, like so many things that the previous tenants neglected, the yard is pretty sad.  On a street filled with perfectly manicured lawns, mine sticks out like a sore thumb of patchy, sad, uncared for grass.  There was also a sad, overgrown palm tree and a mesquite tree that I swear was trying to take over the neighborhood it was so huge.  Last week the tree people came and fixed them, and the neighbors said that if I water the lawn all the time it will grow in beautifully.
Well, we are in a drought.  Technically we are only allowed to water one day a week, but the loophole is that if you water by hand you can do it as much as you want.  Last week was my first attempt at watering - standing out there watering the yard like a fool with a leaky hand sprayer.  I was covered in mud by the end of it and irritated because I then tracked the mud into the house like an even bigger fool.  So I ordered these super cool gardening boots from Anthropologie. They were on sale so I feel like I got a deal, and I love the print on them.  I usually hate prints but these are cute.  Add a floppy gardening hat cute gardening gloves and you are ready to go!  I have a feeling my lawn will fit in with the neighborhood in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment