Monday, April 8, 2013

Don't Follow The Bus

"Don't follow the bus." Don't follow the bus."  This is what I keep repeating to myself today.  My son has his first field trip, which means it will be his first time riding on a bus.  No seatbelt, no carseat, nothing.  This is coming from a woman who gets nervous when her own husband drives her son around.  I know, I have issues.  I have been dreading this day for months, although I would like to point out that I am not crazy enough to make him miss the field trip.  Score for me!  I also am not crazy enough to follow the bus, although it is taking every ounce of will power left in my neurosis racked body not to run back to the school and do exactly that.  That's part of why I am writing this, to give me something to do so that I don't hyperventilate.

I'm kidding.  Sort of.  Ok, not at all.  Either way, as worried as I was leading up to today, I knew everything would be fine.  Then the hurricane hit.  That is what I am calling it, at least, and for all I know our weather today would probably meet hurricane standards.  It started last night, with the wind picking up.  If you have ever experienced Vegas wind, you know it can be pretty fierce.  Everything was a mess this morning, complete with some downed light poles.  The only thing flashing through my mind brighter than a neon sign on the strip was "high profile vehicle"  Now of course, all week long it has been in the 80's, clear skies, beautiful.  Of course today, it is a hurricane.

I could have dealt with the wind, but on the way home from dropping him off at school it started to rain.  Not a sprinkle, not a light shower, I'm talking about torrential rain that made it difficult to see even with the windshield wipers going so fast I thought they might fly right off in a show of protest.  Which was super fun as I maintained a death grip on my steering wheel every time a gust of 55MPH wind tried to knock me out of my lane.  If there is one universally accepted fact, it is that people in Las Vegas do not know how to drive in the rain.  Drivers here are awful, and when it rains it is as though the already bad drivers think that treating the roads like water slides would be fun.  The last time it rained, the police department recorded over 150 wrecks from 6am to 4pm.  Our roads are also not meant for rain, so about 30 seconds after it starts raining they are flooded.

If I do not develop an ulcer today, it will be a miracle.  I just keep repeating to myself "Do not follow the bus".  And I am trying to avoid the warnings being put out to high profile vehicles, since I am all too aware that in an hour my son will be on such a vehicle, no seatbelt, with crazy drivers and flooded streets.

P.S.  I also just happen to be awaiting a phone call from the principal of the school that we are trying to get him into in Texas.  It is a "get to know you" call before we apply.  I tend to blurt out inappropriate things when I am anxious.  So with the field trip, the hurricane, and the phone call, this is going to be quite a day.
Thanks for reading!


4 comments:

  1. OH Mer! I'm literally laughing out loud reading this with tears welling up too! I totally feel for you! Be brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! One of the moms just sent me a proof of life photo. Still haven't heard from the principle, but at least my nerves have settled so I am ready!

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog, and I absolutely love it! I'm not a mama yet, but I am laughing so hard because I think these little moments of concern (some may call it paranoia) set in with me all the time! Haha

    I'm your newest follower, and I would love for you to follow my blog too! leslyni.blogspot.com

    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, what a sweet compliment! I can't wait to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete