Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Fall Is The New Spring

Halloween is 8 weeks away.
Crazy, isn't it? That means that my favorite time of year, autumn, is almost here! I love the summer, but there is something magical about fall. It makes you want to put on sweaters, cook, bake, go apple picking and snuggle at home with your family. Fall is not just a prelude to the holiday season, it is a season of family time and being thankful. Each year I eagerly await September 1st, since that is when I allow myself to start breaking out the fall decor I put around my house. I love garlands made of fall leaves, pumpkins, all of it. I am such a dork when it comes to this stuff. Having my home feel comfortable and warm with the rich colors is so wonderful when the crisp days of fall come around. And by crisp, I mean 90 degrees instead of 100. I live in Vegas, so sometimes I have to pretend.

Right now is the perfect time to get down and dirty with some "fall cleaning". Sure, we all do spring cleaning, but I think now is the time to really focus on it. After all, soon our homes will be bustling with holiday activity and we won't have time during the hectic weeks before Christmas to tend to our homes as much as we would like. It is also a great time to de-clutter and bless some charities with the things we no longer love, before the influx of new goodies comes our way in December. If you do a deep clean now, you will be ready for spot cleaning in the coming months. So that is what I have been up to, from the baseboards to the backyard.
Here is a handy list to help you get started now, before it is too late and we are all in the chaotic holiday spirit:

Change the batteries in smoke/carbon monoxide detectors
Clean the gutters of leaves and debris
Trim down plants to get them ready for winter
Clean the windows and sills
Deep clean carpets
Organize the pantry
Change air filters
Put away summer pool toys
Change the light bulbs outside (better now than when it is cold out).
Hang heavier winter curtains that help insulate the house.

Well that should get all of us started! It may seem tedious, but it is so much easier to do these things now rather than wait until things get crazy in November and December.
Let's get cleaning!! Otherwise, if you are like me, it will be January 1st before any of it gets done.

1 comment:

  1. You know where fall is lovely? The east coast, specifically West Virginia! wink wink.

    ReplyDelete