Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Nectarine Tart, Part Two: Rising from the ashes.

If at first you don't succeed...

The time had come. June was here, the sun was shining, nectarines were in full supply. My son, still scarred from the original experiment, kept saying "mommy, now you can make your nectarine tart!". Does he know what a tart is? No, but he was trying his best to be supportive. Round two, tart, it's just you and me, and only one of us is going to prevail.
After the oven was cleaned of all remaining beans and tart dough, I was ready to roll. On a side note, it is never a bad idea to clean your oven, as a dirty one will generally yield poor results to whatever you are cooking/baking. You wouldn't want your tart or pie smelling like burnt mozzarella from the pizza that overflowed the week before. Also, my pizza stone lives in the bottom of my oven, never to be removed, as it aids in the cooking of pastries, bread, and everything else imaginable. Just leave it in there.

This time, I started off by buying the nectarines first. Note to self: Perhaps I should try that with all of my recipes, gathering the essential ingredients to make sure they are available before buying the hardware. I also did a quick search to find the best tart dough recipe, and came across a wonderful blog with an equally wonderful tart dough recipe - The Smitten Kitchen. It was going to work this time, I could feel it! The beauty of this tart dough is that it is creamy and easy to work with, as well as impossibly simple to make. It also does not involve pie weights (or beans as I use), so there was no risk of having to once again fish in the bottom of the oven with tweezers in search of lost beans. I was sold.
On to the nectarines, which needed to be sliced super thin and formed into roses. While the slicing wasn't a problem, the forming into roses was even more labor intensive than I prefer, and I could not get them to stay together. Realizing that this could take hours, I took the cheap way out and decided to do one rose in the center and fan the rest of the slices into a large flower.


I filled the tart with a chambord mixture per the recipe, and popped it into the oven, to be greeted 40 minutes later by this beauty:
Note: if you do a quick search of this tart, you will find many bloggers who have tried it, I will tell you it is a pain, but it is so worth it.

2 comments:

  1. That tart look delicious!
    Thank you for stopping by and following my blog! Good luck on my giveaway! I've had a great response and wish I could give everyone a book!
    Come back when you get a chance visit my other one if you'd like!
    I'm your newest follower! I've enjoyed reading your blog and will be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the comment, and look forward to reading more from your blogs.

    ReplyDelete