Friday, January 14, 2011

Dollar Section Fixer-Uppers

I shall begin by saying that the dollar section in Target is like crack to me. Resistance is futile, even if I manage to stroll on by at the beginning of my shopping trip, it inevitably sucks me in when I am getting ready to check out. Such deals! Such clutter and junk! But I love it, and sometimes there are some really super finds.
The last time I was there I saw some golden opportunities, items I knew I could fix up and use for storage in my craft room. I had been pricing magazine holders for a while, and lo and behold there they were in the dollar section. They may be cardboard, but that is good enough for me, after all, that's usually what the expensive ones are made of anyway (the ones Target sells are around 10.00 a piece for the cardboard "pretty" ones), and it's not like I'm using them to hold weights or anything. There were also some little bins for Valentine's day, that were begging to be made over for my craft room. How could I let them down?
So these are two projects for you, and they are surprisingly simple and inexpensive.
These are the bins before:

My initial idea was to cover them in beige fabric, then embellish it. After days of mod podge induced delusions of grandeur, I ripped the fabric off and almost gave up on the whole stupid thing. So, I took the easy way out: spray adhesive and scrapbook paper. Ahh, life is so much easier with those two items, and the job flied by. I simply made a template, cut out the pieces, sprayed and stuck. Super easy, and when it dried I added some ribbon and a tag holder. Some of the ribbon went on a little crooked, but I am trying to ignore it. Here is the finished product:



The second project was the magazine holders, which started out looking like this:

And ended up looking like this, using the same spray and stick technique. I found some great paper on sale at Michaels for 29 cents a sheet, the tag holders are 2.99 for 3, which I used a 40% coupon for, so all told these cost about 2.00 a piece. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Sorry about the picture quality, I probably should have waited until daylight to take the pictures, but I couldn't resist sharing!
I hope you try these dollar section projects, there will be more to come.

3 comments: